Tobacco and Cannabis Policy
On Oct 17, 2018 – Canada legalized the possession and use of Cannabis for personal and medical consumption.
In light of this change to federal law, Urban Rec would like to clarify its policy in terms of the use and consumption of cannabis and our leagues.
The use of Cannabis has assumed a hybrid position which encompasses aspects of our policies on cigarette and alcohol consumption, both of which are legal but restricted in Canada.
Similar to alcohol,
- Cannabis may not be consumed while participating in any league or event.
- Participants may not participate while impaired by cannabis or any other substance.
- Disorderly Conduct: You may not engage in disorderly or lewd conduct including disorder associated with alcohol, cannabis or controlled substances.
Similar to cigarettes,
- Use of tobacco, cannabis and smoke-less products (e.g. vaporizers) is prohibited by participants at any of our indoor or outdoor locations. This includes but is not limited to beaches, gyms, municipal or private turf or grass fields, Stadiums or private venues.
- Anyone that smokes may only do so in designated areas and in accordance with all applicable municipal, provincial and federal laws.
Players and/or teams that do not adhere to this policy may be subject to supplemental league discipline.
Please note that players may also be held to account for their consumption by local law enforcement if they are deemed in violation of any relevant by-law or law. At present the fine for smoking in public is not less than $250 and up to $2000 per occurrence.
Ultimately, we ask that all members and their guests exhibit good judgement and show the utmost respect for your fellow participants, staff and the general public.